Total results: 30

Fix Rails error: The specified module could not be found: mysql-2.8.1-x86-mingw32 mysql_api.so (LoadError )

After updating my Rails version to 3.0.7 I have been experiencing the error:

The specified module could not be found. - C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/mysql-2.8.1-x86-mingw32/lib/1.9/mysql_api.so (LoadError )

This occurs every time I try to load the Webrick server.

The solution is to find the "libmysql.dll" file and copy it to your Ruby bin.

The location of these folders on Windows 7 is:
C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.5\lib
and
C:\Ruby192\bin

As soon as that DLL is copied you can start the server without any problems.

Detect if HTML 5 Geolocation is Enabled

If you want to check whether a browser has HTML 5 geolocation support enabled and display a warning message to the user if it is not, then this function should help you out.

function display_nosupport_message()
{
	if(!navigator.geolocation)
	{
		$('#map_canvas’).text('Your browser does not support HTML 5 geolocation. ');
	}
}

In this example I check to see if the navigator.geolocation method is available. If not then I use a jQuery command to update the div that would normally house the Google Map by adding warning text for the user.

Fix NetBeans "db:migrate" task does not exist

I have recently reinstalled Ruby on Rails 3.0.0 and created a new Rails project in NetBeans 9.6.1

I could not migrate my database, or any other rake tasks for that matter. I kept getting the error: "db:migrate" task does not exist

The solution is to right click your project select "Run/Debug Rake Task" and then click the button titled "Refresh Tasks".

Once this is done you should see a list of all your rake tasks. After this you can simply re-run the db:migrate task and it will work.

PHP Installer doesn't ask for web server

If you are having the problem that the PHP Installer MSI is not asking for your web server type and therefore not updating your server configuration or not installing the correct libs such as "php5apache2_2.dll" then you are probably using the wrong MSI.

All of the MSI installers are on the http://windows.php.net/download/ page. You do not want to use the VC9 installers. You need to use the VC6 x86 Thread Safe installer. This is usually the last option, per version.

The link to the latest safe MSI is here: PHP 5.3 VC6 Thread Safe MSI

Fix "A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not" PHP error

I recently upgraded my PHP version to 5.3 and afterwards could not connect to MySQL. I was getting the following error in my PHP error log: PHP Warning: mysql_connect(): [2002] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not (trying to connect via tcp://localhost:3306)

The solution is to do with Windows enabling IPv6 support while MySQL does not support this yet. 'localhost' is being converted to ::1 instead of 127.0.0.1, the solution to this is simple.

Go the the following directory: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

Allow yourself full access to the hosts file by right clicking it and clicking properties.

Next go to the security tab and click the big "Edit" button.

Click on the "Users" group. Below this check the "Full Control" box and then save the changes.

Now that you have access to the file, open the hosts file with a text editor such as notepad.

Comment out the ::1 line with a # so the file will look something like:

# Copyright (c) 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost
#::1             localhost

Once you are done, save the file and try to access your PHP page again that is using MySQL. It should work immedietley.

mod_rewrite on localhost

I have recently been playing with mod_rewriting my web application URLs. I find that they worked perfectly on my live host but just wouldn't work on localhost.

This solution works for me: You have to open the httpd.conf Apache configuration file.

Locate this line and remove the "#":

 #LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so
 

Finally search the file for "AllowOverride None".

This phrase will appear 7 times in the file, you want the second one and change the "None" to "All".

The comment above the line is:

# AllowOverride controls what directives may be placed in .htaccess files.
# It can be "All", "None", or any combination of the keywords:
#   Options FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
#
AllowOverride All

© Blake Simpson, 2012 – 2017